As a follow up to the #WeAreStillIn campaign and in leadup to COP23 in Bonn November 6-17, ICLEI USA is in preparations to take a delegation of U.S. local leaders from our network joined by concerned citizens and members of the environmental justice communities. This time, we are hosting a unique essay contest and crowdfunding campaign to open our delegation wider than elected officials, and we appreciate assistance from your communications teams to help us spread the word through your channels.
About the delegation. The people’s delegation will represent U.S. communities from a variety of perspectives: environmental justice communities, small cities, large urban areas, and youth will be chosen through an essay competition to highlight the needs and stories of climate action in the U.S. The campaign will support one delegate in the following categories, with two delegates from environmental justice:
● Residents from communities with a population less than 100,000
● Residents from metro areas with population over 1 million
● Communities disproportionately affected by race, class, and other factors in facing climate change impacts
● Persons age 25 and under (at time of application)
● Open: Anyone currently living in U.S.
1) This is an opportunity to speak on the topic of climate change to the global audience on behalf of US communities. In what ways do you represent your community and what perspectives can you bring to COP23? How have you contributed to climate action in your community? (500 words max)
2) There are many pressing climate mitigation and adaptation challenges that need to be overcome, with impacts that affect communities in disproportionate ways. What is your vision for an innovative and inclusive climate policy? (500 words max)
Applicants can submit their essay application here by August 4, 2017. Semifinalists will be chosen by ICLEI staff and finalists will be chosen by public voting at the end of August.
ICLEI will lead a crowdfunded campaign (launched today)
to raise $15,000 ($2,500 per delegate
) to cover travel costs for the selected delegates. All semi-finalists will be expected to assist in the crowdfunding process by sharing and promoting the campaign. The final number of delegation
positions available will depend on success of fundraising. Delegates will be chosen at the end of August with the conclusion of the crowdfunding. Donate here