The Local Government Sustainable Energy Coalition (LGSEC), a program of the Local Government Commission (LGC), seeks a part-time undergraduate research assistant/project associate intern (unpaid*) to help support LGSEC’s energy initiatives, projects, and day-to-day operations. In addition to supporting LGSEC, the intern will have the opportunity to choose from a diverse list of energy-related projects to focus on for the duration of the internship.
The LGSEC Intern will support LGSEC projects through desktop research, data analysis, tracking current sustainable energy and regulatory news and emerging trends, and support some project administration tasks. This internship is an opportunity for students to work with LGC employees to gain experience working in a professional environment, on energy policy and regulatory issues and in nonprofit management. LGC is committed to providing a robust experience and contributing to the professional development of its interns. The chosen candidate will have meaningful work, independent tasks to complete, and deliverables to come away with at the end of the internship.
*LGC is willing to complete any necessary responsibilities for this internship to receive college credit.
Duties and responsibilities will be from among this list:
- Compile and catalog relevant energy and climate change resources (guidebooks, toolkits, etc.)
- Track identified legislation, regulatory hearings, proposed regulations, and opportunities to comment – create briefs, and keep LGSEC members up-to-date on a slate of energy and climate-related policy issues;
- Create a matrix of ‘best practices’ and identify where LGSEC member programs are regarding those best practices;
- Create a cross-linked matrix of Local Government Partnerships (LGPs), Regional Energy Networks (RENs) and CCAs across the state, showing which are LGSEC members and some key/basic info about each organization;
- Complete special projects as assigned;
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in a related environmental or public policy field;
- Interested in learning about local governments, CA energy, and/or climate change policy
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and Google platforms
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated and dependable
- Available at minimum 8 hours per week, for 10 weeks (start date: ASAP)
The Local Government Commission is a California 501 (c)3 not-for-profit organization that works to build livable communities and local leadership by connecting leaders via innovative programs and network opportunities, advancing policies through participation at the local and state level, and implementing solutions as a technical assistance provider and advisor to local jurisdictions.
About LGC’s LGSEC Program
The Local Government Sustainable Energy Coalition (LGSEC) is an association of California public entities and their allies formed to strengthen and leverage their communities’ influence and commitment to a sustainable energy future. Please visit http://www.lgsec.org/ for more information
To apply: Submit Resume & Cover Letter to Grace Kaufman (GKaufman@lgc.org)