The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) will hold an Environmental Justice and Disadvantaged Communities En Banc hearing on July 6, 2017.
When: July 6, 2017, 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Where: CPUC Auditorium, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco;
also available via webcast at www.adminmonitor.com/ca/cpuc
In order to advance the CPUC’s energy policies and programs, the CPUC will host a discussion of challenges and potential solutions, including how to reduce the need for polluting energy resources in disadvantaged communities and how to increase investment of clean energy resources in these communities. The En Banc hearing will assemble a diverse panel of experts to consider these and related issues, including increased outreach to and coordination with community representatives. Although a quorum of Commissioners and/or their staff may be in attendance, no official CPUC action will be taken at this event.
- 1 p.m.: Welcome and Introduction
- 1:15 p.m.: Staff Presentation
- Overview of CPUC jurisdiction on Environmental Justice/Disadvantaged Communities issues
- Progress to date implementing Senate Bill (SB) 350 requirements
- SB 350 Advisory Committee
- 1:45 p.m.: Commissioners Reports: Environmental Justice/Disadvantaged Communities Issues in Specific Proceedings
- 2:10 p.m.: Barriers Report – California Energy Commission
- 2:30 p.m.: Break
- 2:45 p.m.: Panel 1: Environmental Justice Issues
- What can the CPUC do to ensure that reduced air emissions and reduced greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions accrue to disadvantaged communities?
- What environmental justice issues should be considered through CPUC processes, and in what proceedings?
- What tradeoffs are there with other CPUC policy objectives such as safety, reliability, and affordability?
- 3:35 p.m.: Panel Transition Break
- 3:40 p.m.: Panel 2: Clean Energy in Disadvantaged Communities
- How can the CPUC promote clean energy resources in disadvantaged communities?
- How should the CPUC work with other agencies to promote clean energy resources in disadvantaged communities?
- How can the CPUC best reach out and partner with representatives of disadvantaged communities to promote clean energy resources?
4:30 p.m.: Public Comment