The purpose of ATP is to encourage increased use of active modes of transportation by achieving the following goals:
- Increase the proportion of trips accomplished by biking and walking.
- Increase safety and mobility for non-motorized users.
- Advance the active transportation efforts of regional agencies to achieve Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reduction goals, pursuant to SB 375 (of 2008) and SB 341 (of 2009).
- Enhance public health.
- Ensure that disadvantaged communities fully share in the benefits of the program.
- Provide a broad spectrum of projects to benefit many types of active transportation users.